TOWNSVILLE CAR ENTHUSIASTS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TOWNSVILLE CAR ENTHUSIASTS

Townsville car related discussion board

You are not connected. Please login or register

What makes you a car enthusiast?

+5
AFGHANGTi
teh_hotness
Swiftest_gti
Blair
GRPABT1
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:40 am

GRPABT1

GRPABT1
10 second mk3 gti with black rims

Whilst recently reading another local forum it occured to me that some people who claim to be car enthusiast actually seem anything but. I personally think, considering the amount of crap we have to put up with for our interest in cars that we should be at least able to afford a little exclusivity. But alas it seems that of late the scene has been filled with people with nothing better to do masquerading as genuine enthusiasts.

Hence I put it to you, what makes an enthusiast?

I think I at least know what doesn't make you an enthusiast. Case in point, and automatic ford festiva has to be one of the most lifeless, unstimulating, uninspiring coffin's on wheels that I can think of yet apparently these days if you paint the bonnet black it qualifies you to label yourself as an enthusiast? I think not. I recognise the fact that some people with a genuine passion and interest for cars don't always get to pick the vehicle they would like. However I think they could/should (if they were a true enthusiast) do something to get at least the next or even 20th best thing before commiting enthusiast suicide by purchasing a 4cyl camry or the like. I recognise that it is often the more sensible descision to stick with said reliable auto festiva or camry etc. But I personally think that is what seperates a genuine enthusiast from the masses, we just plain couldn't live with a lifeless car like that.

So that brings us to the harder to define question of what does qualify you as an enthusiast? Without including the poor unfortunate souls who have a genuine interest but are unable to have a vehicle of their own at all I have a few ideas. I suggest there be some criteria, of course open to discussion and acceptions. My suggestions (and they are just off the top of my head and will need much more input from the masses) are as follows (and not all of the suggested criteria are needed for the one car IMO ).

An enthusiast should:-
Have a car with a power to weight ratio of at least..........
Should have altered their vehicle for better performance in their respective field
Should have a history of motorsport attendance (including sound offs, shows etc)
Should be of a rare/collectable make or model
Should have a sound knowledge of their vehicle
Should take enjoyment in driving their vehicle as much as practical
Should have a genuine reason why they own their vehicle

That's all I can think of just now. So what do you guys think makes an enthusiast?

2What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:45 am

Blair

Blair

If you typed all that, go find a hobby or have a wank.

3What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:01 am

GRPABT1

GRPABT1

My hobby is in the shop right now

4What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:14 am

Swiftest_gti

Swiftest_gti
Founder

to be honest, in my books there are no rules for being an enthusiast.

enthusiast: fancier: a person having a strong liking for something

so all you really need is to have a strong liking for cars. i used to own a 720 datsun ute, and the only thing i ever did to it was put an 8 ball gear knob and 6x9's and a cd player in it, and i would have still considered myself an "enthusiast" because i had/have a strong liking for cars.

im not too big on the whole stereotyping crap that goes on with other forums. the whole idea of tce (townsville car enthusiasts) is to try and get as many people involved. it doesnt matter if you own a fully modified car or a stock car, if you have a passion for cars, you fit my bill.

http://www.tceforum.com

5What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:16 am

Blair

Blair

You downgraded from a datto 720 ute to a gti?! Sad

6What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:25 am

Swiftest_gti

Swiftest_gti
Founder

haha, you downgraded form a barina to a calais??

7What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:27 am

teh_hotness

teh_hotness
Brame edition Mk3 GTi

I'm one of those 'poor unfortunate souls' who doesn't own a car... For now anyway.

But I consider myself to be a semi car enthusiast. I get enjoyment out of them. Be it at car shows or helping people work on them (trying to anyway in all my dumb femaleness). I could probably talk about cars all day. And, I appreciate a good car when I see one.

But I agree with you Rhys (For once Razz)

Last edited by teh_hotness on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total

8What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:28 am

teh_hotness

teh_hotness
Brame edition Mk3 GTi

Swiftest_gti wrote:haha, you downgraded form a barina to a calais??

Wasn't it Barina to Pootrol to Calais?

9What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:54 am

GRPABT1

GRPABT1

I know what you mean Rhy's and I'm not trying to stereotype anyone however I do question the passion of someone when they say they're an enthusiast yet let practicality get in the way of that passion. You guy's are obviously very passionate about your GTi's, you could blow 7 gearboxes and still love them. If you sold your GTi and bought a camry for more than it'd cost for an uber GTi gearbox for no other reason than reliability than I'd question your passion for cars.

10What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:57 am

GRPABT1

GRPABT1

And your 720 owning scenario is one in which your actions, knowledge and attendance to events in the car scene would prove your enthusiasm not just your ride. I'm not trying to categorize people plainly by what they drive.

11What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:49 am

Swiftest_gti

Swiftest_gti
Founder

but who are we to be the judge of who is and isn't an enthusiast?

12What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:33 am

AFGHANGTi

AFGHANGTi
2IC aka Jesus

who are you not to judge rhys? Wink

i agree and dissagree to some statements,

but who says this said "reliable" camry...dosnt have a 2JZ under the bonnet...
but since we are talking about camerons pathetic auto festiva...im with josh

13What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:38 am

Swiftest_gti

Swiftest_gti
Founder

oh yeah i dont disagree that the members we allow on here need to be moderated heavily, and heavily moderated they will be, but i dont really like the idea of setting up a set of guidelines as to what makes a "car enthusiast".

14What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:31 am

GRPABT1

GRPABT1

I guess it's more of just the degree of enthusiasm that varies then. Some are true die hard to the core car people and others only somewhat. I'm obviously not talking about RWD 2JZ camrys Tom. And The moderation is kinda what I was getting at, fair enough if you wanna lap the strand a million times a night on a thursday but I reckon if you wanna be a member of an enthusiast group than it takes more than that.

15What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:28 pm

AFGHANGTi

AFGHANGTi
2IC aka Jesus

^agree

a 2jz camry would be epic but....

16What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:39 pm

GRPABT1

GRPABT1

There is/was a 1jz or 7m old shape cressida getting around had rat79 plates, pretty sure the owner now has an aristo or something with the same plates. It was hot, last saw it with some chick driving coming out of castletown about 6 months back.

17What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:46 pm

Swiftest_gti

Swiftest_gti
Founder

what has this got to do with car enthusiast definitions?

18What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:56 pm

AFGHANGTi

AFGHANGTi
2IC aka Jesus

its got heaps to do with it...if you care to read SIR.......

started with the "camry" comment

19What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:47 pm

Blair

Blair

I never thought Thomas was an enthusiast, but then he picked me up in TUFECO and that all changed.

20What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:38 am

Swiftest_gti

Swiftest_gti
Founder

haha well it is sorted. my opinion of what makes a car enthusiast is the law.

21What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:11 pm

littlefireyone

littlefireyone
brown mightyboy

Ok, so here's my take on this. An enthusiast should have a genuine interest and some knowledge in what they say they're into obviously but more important then that is their attitude. Their attitude dictates how they interact with other enthusiasts, when was the last time you saw someone claiming to be a lonewolf enthusiast? or a sniper jungle camo convention out in the park? ever see all the enthusiasts there?...
Also their passion for the given subject should be enough to bring them to life in even the most dull deathbitch of times, and being Townsville that can be alot. So yeah I think that pretty much sums me up.

22What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 am

Swiftest_gti

Swiftest_gti
Founder

very well put.

so basically someone who is able to interact with other enthusiasts???

23What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:48 am

littlefireyone

littlefireyone
brown mightyboy

yeah because the interest overcomes any reasons the person may have for otherwise not interacting with people, ie geekism

24What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:06 am

CRA15

MK2 GTi w/Mags

id agree with that,

personally i think the whole "i drive a skyline/rx7/overrated shitbox/WTF-ITS-A-FARKIN-MAXIMA-YOU-HOMO and am therefore too awesome to speak to the likes of you" crowd is the exact opposite of an enthusiast...the anti-enthusiast if you will.

any real enthusiast doesent neccesarily drive the good cars (case in point: the school kid whos dreamt of cars his whole life, and cant afford a car yet = still an enthusiast because the passion is there)and would jump at any oppurtunity to talk cars with anyone

I drive a silvia, and i find it very disturbing the kind of people who all of a sudden want to cruise with me. when i had the corolla, these very same people wouldnt give me the time of day to talk cars with me..these are the sort of people who own nice cars yes, but are far from an enthusiasts.

when its no longer cool to own *insert car here* , they will move on just like they did with von zipper hats, subwoofers, neons and mobile phones..

the biggest example of this is how a toyota hilux is now the new r33 skyline..wtf retards, youre all a bunch of trend followers like i always knew you all were. go ruin a different scene

ok im done lol

25What makes you a car enthusiast? Empty Re: What makes you a car enthusiast? Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:51 am

AFGHANGTi

AFGHANGTi
2IC aka Jesus

^epic!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum